Sunday, December 19, 2010

Glasses for a Three Year Old

A few months ago, I noticed that MadaLynn would cross her right eye (only her right eye) when she would focus on something. She was beginning to do it a lot more and people would actually comment on it. Needless to say, while we were at her 3-year-old well child appointment I asked my Pediatrician about. He didn't think twice about it and told us that we needed to see an Pediatric Ophthalmologist.

As soon as the Dr. looked at her he knew what exactly was wrong with MadaLynn's eye. She has a condition called: amblyopia, otherwise known as a lazy eye. It is when one eye becomes weaker than the other, and causes the weak eye not to develop normally. This condition is treatable if caught early enough. MadaLynn's treatment is glasses. The glasses that she needs have bifocals in them, this to teach the eyes to work simultaneously again.

We have been getting a lot of questions from people (some we don't even know) about her glasses. My favorite is: "does she really need those?" I don't know how to answer to this question,  because I think that it is a silly question. I don't know why or who would force their child to wear glasses. Other than some questions, people have been pretty good about them. As a mother, I worried that she would be teased about wearing glasses, but the complete opposite has happened. Collin, and some of her close friends are asking if they can wear glasses too.

I think it is the most adorable thing that I have ever seen. She doesn't mind them that much which I am grateful for. It would have made this situation a whole lot harder.


Also, I didn't send out a Christmas card this year. I was too busy, so for those of you who would've cared, here you go:


Merry Christmas from the Renfros!

4 comments:

Familly said...

She looks adorable in her glasses! And cute Christmas picture!

The Collins Family said...

Aw bless her sweet little heart! she looks so cute in them! I love all the pictures! Merry Christmas Renfro's :)

Melanni said...

Oh my goodness, she is rockin' those glasses! She looks way cute in them! I can't believe some of the strange questions people ask. Seriously. Love the Christmas picture of your kids, they are SO cute!

mckell said...

I hear ya on the no time getting christmas photos out! But they turned out cute and I love maddies glasses!! She is super adorable in them:)